Tuesday, January 17, 2012

My food intake and what works for me

People always make comments to me about my habits. I always hear "So do you just starve yourself all day?" My response is always a laugh and "Nope, I eat every 2-3 hours actually!"
Here is a basic day of what I eat and what has been working for me:

Breakfast: Greek non fat or light PLAIN yogurt, 1 scoop Kashi brand protein cereal, handful or fruit and maybe a packet of splenda  WATER or egg whites scambled with salsa and no sugar oatmeal
Mid morning snack: Low fat cheese stick, whole grain crackers and fruit/veggies/almonds WATER
Lunch: Shakeology shake blended with ice, non fat milk, fruit (banana if chocolate or berries for greenberry) WATER
Mid afternoon snack: Low fat cheese stick and apple WATER
Dinner: Lean protein and veggies WATER NO CARBS AT DINNER!
After dinner: If I am training hard, I will usually throw in another straight protein shake before bed

Everyone trains differently but I know I work harder and eat cleaner if I have something to look forward to.This is why I give myself one cheat day a week, usually Sundays.

Now a cheat day still has some limitations. I will allow myself what I want to eat but I will still do portion control. If I want pizza, I have pizza but I don't eat a whole one! I still say NO to soda unless its diet and I just need that taste. Speaking of diet soda's, I consider this a treat! Drinking diet soda over regular soda is obviously the healthier option if you have to have soda but keep in mind, they are still not good for you. They have so much acid and studies have showed that people that drink diet soda often actually comsume more calories when they eat! Something about the carbonation makes you hungrier, but still, who would have thought?? SO DRINK MORE WATER!!!

Basically, limiting the portion size still keeps you accountable and in the right state of mind but allows you to indulge and treat yourself! And by eating so clean during the week, you start to find yourself not even really cheating on your cheat day. Not because you are limiting yourself but because your tastes change and you just don't have the junk cravings anymore.

2 comments:

  1. Very cool. Thanks for sharing. I find eating healthy to be the hardest part of a lifestyle change, but I am trying to drink more water and eating breakfast is a must as it sets the tone for my day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes water and breakfast are a must!! Breakfast really should be your biggest meal of the day with your complex carbs and protein in it. Then you should start to taper off the carbs with lunch and then little to no carbs at dinner. I swear you will see a difference!

    ReplyDelete