Thursday, February 16, 2012

Eating Food That’s Better for You, Organic or Not

Here is a great article I just read and wanted to share:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/22/weekinreview/22bittman.html?src=tp&smid=fb-share

Certified "organic" or not, eating less processed junk will always be better for our families. "And the truth is that most Americans eat so badly — we get 7 percent of our calories from soft drinks, more than we do from vegetables; the top food group by caloric intake is “sweets”; and one-third of nation’s adults are now obese — that the organic question is a secondary one."

I was addicted to soda for almost my whole life. And I was an athlete!! You would have thought I would have known better, that my parents would have known better. But like most families, we were just uneducated. Since I was super thin and I could eat whatever I wanted and never gained weight, it was assumed that I was healthy.

As soon as I hit about 20, my body started to change and I could no longer process the crap that it had run on for years. I also had a history of Migraines and chronic sinusitis which would develop into Strep Throat at least 10 times a year. No one ever thought to consider my diet was the problem.

Once I took control over my diet, cut out the soda,started guzzling water, started eating more balanced meals, I really saw a change in my health and my physique. Granted, I LOVE to eat good food, but I save it for a really good steak at a fancy restaurant now. Fast food and soda just doesn't do it for me anymore.

I want to be able to educate others with the tools and knowledge that I didn't have growing up! Especially those with children, if you lead by example they can't help but live healthier lives. NO MORE EXCUSES!! Do something for yourself now so you can live a healthy and fulfilling life!


1 comment:

  1. You Are What you Eat~

    I agree with you that eating organic seems to come second when you realize how bad people are eating out there.

    I have changed my mentality on food so much over the last 10 years that I often forget how bad people's eating habits are. I started my organic journey a little more than 2 years ago, and would definitely recommend that everyone do their research. There are so many toxins people aren't even aware of, we have to be so careful. They are about as harmful as all the processed junk people put into their bodies. Yikes!

    I try to follow the dirty dozen rule - here is a link to the list of the 12 most contaminated fruits and vegetables:

    http://www.organic.org/articles/showarticle/article-214

    I do my best to buy mostly organic - We vote every time We buy groceries.

    I will end with an article I found on a site I subscribe to through facebook - Natural News

    http://www.naturalnews.com/025643_food_organic_health.html

    xoxo
    Bec

    ReplyDelete