Thursday, March 8, 2012

Not being defeated by life

Last week I had a really hard blow.

My dad and mom's best friend for most of their lives (since my dad was 14 actually) passed away on Monday morning. It was a blow because while we all knew that he had terminal bile duct cancer, the treatments that he was being provided were actually kicking ass and the cancer was diminishing. It was very sudden and I was at a total loss of how to feel. I think I felt worse for my parents and the loss of their dearest friend. He had been around since before I was born and  he was my "uncle" in so many more ways than blood.

I know he lived the hardest life that anyone probably could have been delt. With all of the short comings, he was always a joy to be around. He had an amazing heart and soul, he would give you the shirt off his back if you needed it, I had seen him do this on many occasion.

What upset me about this whole thing was first, I didn't get a real chance to say good bye and second, if he had taken better care of himself with nutrition and exercise, this probably could have been prevented.

There are two lessons here.

One  is hold those close to you closer, tell them you love them and show them you care even if you think they already know.
Two is take care of yourself now so you can be around a long time and enjoy life. If you or someone you know and love needs that push, don't let a tragic event or call from the doctor be your wake up call. At that point it may be too late.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with the lessons you wrote. I am very sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was rough but it will get better :)

      Delete